Gene Robinson, the first gay and partnered Episcopal bishop (who was born not only in my home state but my home county), came to visit my college. We were able to attend a special pizza dinner with him and the students from the Gay Straight Alliance. Exciting!
I met Theo and Anne on their way to the college. Theo said "We're going to see Gene Robinson!" So I knew he'd been practicing saying his name, and was excited to meet him.
At the dinner, Theo pipes up, "Where is Gene Robinson? I want to meet Gene Robinson!"
The campus pastor heard him and brought Gene over to meet Theo. Gene said "Hello, Theo. I'm Gene. May I shake your hand?"
"No!" says Theo. He's been rather unfriendly while meeting strangers (and friends) recently; often snorting, huffing out his breath, and refusing to look at them. We prepare to shake our heads and apologize on his behalf.
But then Theo says, "I want to give a hug!"
So Gene picks him up and they have a nice warm hug. Gene says, "That's the best greeting I've gotten all day!"
(And meanwhile,Theo's church-nerd parents are swooning from excitement and cuteness. Theo got to hug Gene Robinson! The Gene Robinson! Yes, we will be telling this story again and again.)
What a great story! :)
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful! I can't shake the feeling that Theo was trying to teach all of us something about the Kingdom of God, but I can't quite articulate what. I'm going to re-tell this story, too, and see if I can't work out, in doing so, what Theo's message to us was. Love to you three!
ReplyDelete